If you’re going camping near a beautiful spot, you know it’s a great opportunity to bond with family and friends. While the great outdoors provides many exciting camping activities, why not spice things up a bit more by incorporating camp games that will entertain adults and kids alike? Here’s a list of the best fun camping games for your next camping trip.
Table of Contents
1. Scavenger Hunt
A scavenger hunt is an excellent camping game for kids and even adults. It’s a great way to get kids to really explore and appreciate the beauty around them. All you need is a list of items found in nature and send the campers on a fun-filled scavenger adventure!
- Create a list of items or tasks to find or complete.
- Define the game boundaries.
- Participants can play individually or in teams.
- Explain the items/tasks and the rules.
- Set a time limit.
- Start the game, and the first one to complete the list or with most tasks done when time’s up wins.
2. Campfire Charades
Charades is a classic game that becomes even more fun around a campfire. One camper acts out a word without speaking, and the others must guess what it is. It’s a super fun camping game and perfect for warming up the evening.
- Players jot down phrases or actions on paper, fold them, and put them into a container.
- Players split into two teams and take turns drawing a clue from the container.
- The player who draws must silently act out the clue while their team tries to guess it within a time limit.
- Teams alternate turns. The team that correctly guesses the most clues wins.
This game promotes creativity and teamwork, adding laughter and fun to camping nights around the fire.
3. 20 Questions
If you’re looking for a low-key campfire game, 20 Questions is a brilliant option. A player thinks of something, and the others ask yes-or-no questions to figure it out. It’s one of the best games to keep the minds of kids and adults engaged and entertained.
- One person thinks of an object, person, or place.
- The rest of the group asks yes-or-no questions, trying to guess what the person thinks.
- The game continues until the object, person, or place is guessed or until 20 questions have been asked.
4. Ring Toss
This classic outdoor game is not just great for kids but for adults too. Simply set up some targets using camping chairs or glow sticks, and prepare for a fun competition. It’s an active camping game that will provide tons of laughter and excitement.
- Set up several targets at different distances.
- Each player takes turns tossing rings at the targets.
- Points are awarded based on which target the ring lands on.
5. Capture The Flag
Capture the Flag is a thrilling camping game for older kids and adults. This game requires space and strategy, making it one of the most fun and active games you can play at your campsite.
- Divide players into two teams.
- Each team hides their flag in their designated area.
- The goal is to capture the opposing team’s flag and bring it back to your area without being tagged. If a player is tagged, they’re out of the game.
6. Card Game – Go Fish
Go Fish is a card game that is as easy as it is entertaining. It’s a great camping game for kids and adults to play around the campfire. Just remember to pack a deck of cards in your camping bag before leaving!
- The dealer deals five cards to each player.
- Players take turns asking a specific player for a given rank of card.
- If the asked player has any such cards, they must be given to the asking player.
- If not, the asking player draws a card from the deck.
- The goal is to collect a set of four cards of the same rank.
7. Board Game – Catan
Catan is one of the best board games for family camping trips. The strategy game will keep young and old players engaged and entertained for hours. Ensure you have a sturdy camping table and prepare for serious trading and building action.
- Each player starts with two small houses on spaces where three tiles meet.
- Players take turns rolling two dice. The numbers are shown to decide which tiles produce resources.
- Players collect resources to build roads and new settlements or to upgrade existing settlements to cities.
- The goal is to be the first to earn 10 victory points.
8. Hide and Seek in the Dark
Take the classic Hide and Seek game up a notch by playing it in the dark. Equip each camper with a glow stick to ensure safety. It’s a fun game that kids will love and is perfect for those exciting camping nights.
- One person or a team of people are designated as “it”, and a can is placed in the middle of the playing area.
- The rest of the people run off and hide while “it” covers their eyes and counts to a certain number.
- “It” then tries to find everyone. If a person is tagged by “it”, they go into a holding pen for captured players.
- If one of the uncaught players manages to kick the can, the captured players are released.
9. Nature Bingo
Create a fun and educational game by turning a regular Bingo into Nature Bingo. It’s an excellent camping game for younger kids. It will keep them entertained while learning about different plants, animals, and natural features around the campsite.
- Each player gets a bingo card with various nature objects on it.
- As players walk around the campsite, they mark off items on their cards that they see.
- The first player to get five items in a row (diagonally, vertically, or horizontally) yells, “Bingo!” and wins the game.
10. Musical Sleeping Bags
This game is essentially Musical Chairs but with sleeping bags instead. It’s a hilarious game to play with a couple of kids or even adults. Add in some party activities and dance music to make it super fun!
- Spread out sleeping bags around the playing area.
- Play music while the players walk around the sleeping bags.
- Each player must try to get into a sleeping bag when the music stops. The player left without a sleeping bag is out. Remove a sleeping bag and repeat until one player remains.
Gather around the campfire and engage in a round of storytelling. Each person around the circle can add to the tale, making it a great camping game for families to play around the campfire. It’s an excellent way to stir the imagination and create a fun, spooky, or even hilarious atmosphere.
- One player starts a story with one sentence.
- The next player adds another sentence to the story.
- This continues around the group, with each player adding to the story.
- The story ends when it reaches a natural conclusion or after a set amount of rounds.
12. Duck, Duck, Goose
Duck, Duck, Goose is an all-time favourite game for kids. It’s a great outdoor game to play during a camping trip, especially for younger kids. It’s active, fun to play, and can be even more entertaining in a camping setting.
- Players sit in a circle.
- One person is “it” and walks around the circle tapping each player on the head and saying “duck.”
- Eventually, “it” selects someone by saying “goose” instead of “duck.”
- The “goose” stands up and chases “it” around the circle, trying to tag them before they can sit down in the “goose’s” spot.
- If “it” is tagged, they are “it” again. If not, the “goose” becomes the new “it.”
13. Frisbee Golf
For this game, you only need a Frisbee and targets like trees, camping chairs, or even a camping bag. Frisbee Golf is a great camping game to get everyone up and moving.
- Set up a course with a set number of “holes.” A hole can be anything you choose, such as a tree, rock, or camping chair.
- Players take turns throwing a frisbee toward the hole, with the goal of hitting the target in as few throws as possible.
- The player with the lowest total number of throws wins after all the holes have been played.
14. Guess That Song
This fun camping game for adults and kids involves someone humming a tune while the others guess. It’s a great game to play around the campfire, filling the night with laughter and melodies.
- One player hums a song.
- Other players take turns guessing the song.
- The first person to guess correctly becomes the next hummer.
15. I Spy
I Spy is a perfect camping game for kids to play while exploring the great outdoors. It’s a fun game that helps kids notice and appreciate the details around them.
- One player chooses an object in the vicinity and says, “I spy with my little eye, something that is…” and then says a characteristic of the object.
- Other players take turns guessing what the object is.
- The person who guesses correctly is the next one to spy on an object.
Stargazing isn’t a game per se, but it’s a beautiful and calming camping activity that the whole family can enjoy. It’s a great way to relax after a long day of playing games and adventuring.
- Lay back and look at the stars.
- Use a star map or app to identify different constellations and stars.
- Make a wish on a shooting star!
17. Flashlight Tag
Flashlight Tag is a classic game for kids and even adults to enjoy. This game combines hide and seek with tag, making it an exciting camping game to play in the great outdoors at night.
- Designate one player as “it.”
- The ” it ” player counts to a specified number while other players hide.
- “It” then uses the flashlight to find the other players. When the flashlight beam lands on a player, they’re out.
- The last player remaining becomes the new “it.”
18. Simon Says
Simon Says is a classic game that kids love and can be a fun camping game for families. It’s a fun way for kids to exercise their listening skills and can be played with any number of people.
- One player is chosen as “Simon.”
- “Simon” commands the other players, beginning each one with, “Simon says…”
- If players follow a command that doesn’t start with “Simon says…”, they’re out.
- The last player remaining wins and becomes the new “Simon.”
19. Tic Tac Toe in the Dirt
Get back to basics with this timeless classic. With just a stick and some dirt, Tic Tac Toe can become a favourite camping game for kids. It’s a great game to play when you want to relax at the campsite.
- Draw a tic-tac-toe grid in the dirt.
- Players take turns drawing X’s and O’s in the grid.
- The first player to get three of their marks in a row (up, down, across, or diagonally) wins the game.
20. Pass the Water
This fun camping game requires teamwork and quick action. Participants stand in a line using cups and pass water from one end to the other. The team that transfers the most water in a given time wins. It’s a fun, wet way to cool off on a hot day!
- Players line up, and the first person in line fills their cup with water.
- At the signal, the first person passes their cup of water over their head to the person behind them.
- This continues until the water reaches the last person in line, who pours it into a bucket.
- The team that fills their bucket first, or has the most water at the end of a set amount of time, wins the game.
Be sure tp pack all the essential equipment needed to make you trip an enjoyable experience
What are some fun camping games to play?
There are numerous fun camping games to play, including board games, card games, and outdoor games. Some popular choices include horseshoes, ladder toss, cornhole, and frisbee.
What are the best camping games for adults?
Some great adult camping games include beer pong, flip cup, giant Jenga, and Bananagrams. These games are sure to keep the party going around the campfire.
What are the best camping games for kids?
The best camping games for kids are those that are simple and easy to understand. Hide and seek, capture the flag, scavenger hunt, and nature bingo are all great options for kids to play while camping.
What are some fun, family-friendly camping games?
Some fun, family-friendly camping games include KanJam, giant Tic Tac Toe, and giant Connect Four. These games are great for all ages to enjoy together.
What are the best outdoor camping games?
The best outdoor camping games include frisbee, soccer, volleyball, and badminton. These games all require wide-open spaces and are great for challenging your family and friends.
How do I keep the kids entertained while camping?
One of the best ways to keep the kids entertained while camping is by engaging them in fun camping activities. Set up a scavenger hunt, organise a relay race, or start a game of capturing the flag.
What are some super fun camping activities?
Some super fun camping activities include roasting marshmallows, playing flashlight tag, and telling ghost stories around the campfire. These activities are sure to keep everyone entertained and happy.
What are some fun camping games for the next camping trip?
Some fun camping games for the next camping trip include Bocce ball, giant Dice, and badminton. These games are perfect for the outdoors and can be enjoyed by the whole family.
What is the best camping game for playing around the campfire?
The classic game of charades is the best camping game for playing around the campfire. This game is easy to set up and requires no equipment, making it a perfect choice for camping.
What are some fun family activities to do while camping?
There are countless fun family activities to do while camping, hiking, fishing, and kayaking. These activities are a great way to explore the great outdoors and bond with your family.
So, whether you’re car camping or pitching a tent in the wilderness, these fun camping games for kids and adults should keep everyone entertained. They’re all great for kids and even better for family camping games. Remember, the best camping games for families are ones that everyone can participate in and enjoy. So, pack these fun camping games along on your next camping trip and create unforgettable memories in the great outdoors!